I'm against deprecating FastCGI at all because it's the only cross
platform, language independent, minimally scalable standard for deploying
web applications in web servers (apart from HTTP proxy).

WSGI may be nice to Python developers, but the world doesn't end after
Python. Not all web servers support WSGI nor many people will choose to
deploy a Django application if he or she needs another web server for that
task. (Yes, big applications may require their own physical or virtual
server, but that's not the case for everyone.) Fulfilling a standard like
FastCGI is a must.

Also, FastCGI is **not that terrible**: You choose a prefix and tell the
web server to redirect requests to the FastCGI server. Those are the
basics. There are issues in some servers which make you have to configure
rewrites if you want to serve static files from the same prefix but those
are not real issues of FastCGI.

On the other hand, flup is dead in many ways, but I think uWSGI with
FastCGI may be a better alternative. We wouldn't need to worry about
FastCGI ourselves, have more features and have no change in our
infrastructure (uWSGI uses WSGI to communicate with the web application
independently of the technology it uses to communicate with the web server).

tl;dr:
FastCGI: We have to support it.
runfcgi + flup: Deprecating it may be a good decision.
uWSGI + FastCGI: We should have nice docs about this.