It's great all the housekeeping we've been doing lately, and I'm sure we
all agree nice to have clean, tidy code; but I wonder if we've been a
little too unforgiving at the expense of easy compatibility with important
third party apps?

Celery, sorl-thumbnail, mptt, registration, shorturls, compressor, tinymce
(I could go on) have been having trouble keeping up.

One of Django's key strengths is the large collection of apps. Some aren't
as regularly maintained as we'd like but we still love them. Is it a little
unreasonable to expect them all to move so fast?

Any one else found themselves spending too much time lately patching other
peoples' stuff?