Hi Simon,

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Simon Litchfield <litchfie...@gmail.com>wrote:

> It's great all the housekeeping we've been doing lately, and I'm sure we
> all agree nice to have clean, tidy code; but I wonder if we've been a
> little too unforgiving at the expense of easy compatibility with important
> third party apps?
>
> Celery, sorl-thumbnail, mptt, registration, shorturls, compressor, tinymce
> (I could go on) have been having trouble keeping up.

Can you elaborate on exactly what deprecations are causing the problem
here? Yes, we've been deprecating things, but AFAICT they've mostly been
contrib apps, and the deprecation has been accompanied by moving the third
party app into a public repository so anyone dependent on it can continue
to use (and maintain) the code if they want.

Also - if you pick one of those apps -- registration -- the issue wasn't so
much deprecation it was integration with a new feature (custom user models).

One of Django's key strengths is the large collection of apps. Some aren't
> as regularly maintained as we'd like but we still love them. Is it a little
> unreasonable to expect them all to move so fast?

What constitutes "too fast"? Class based views, for example, were put on
deprecation path *2 years ago*. Yes, some apps are probably affected. But
they've also had *lots* of time to be updated, and for at least 12 months
of that time, any affected project should have been getting *lots* of
warnings that they were using code that was due to be deprecated.

So…. I suppose my problem here is that I don't see the problem -- at least,
not as you've described it. Deprecation is already done on a long
timeframe, and with plenty of very vocal warning messages.

Is there a *specific* deprecation (or deprecations) that you see causing
problems? Or is the problem that there are lots of apps out there using
unofficial API internals, and are breaking as a result when Django is
updated? Or is it that there are packages in our community that aren't
being actively maintained?

Yours
Russ Magee %-)