On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Curtis Maloney
<cur...@acommoncreative.com> wrote:
> But trying to shoe-horn a single API onto all models won't work.

+1 to this.

there are lots of kinds of databases, relational, hierarchical, object
based, key-value, document-based, column-oriented, graphs, spatial...

the "common subset" is almost an empty set unless you do it for each category.

still, some of these are on a category of its own, reducing the point
of an abstraction layer. (Redis anyone?)

> However, if you'd rather build an Object Document Mapper [ODM] to provide a
> consistent API for document databases, that could have some value.

An ODM with adaptors for MongoDB, CouchDB, maybe Cassandra (and even
PostgreSQL, which does a far-better-than-average work on this space)
could certainly be welcomed.

> <rant>
> I wish people would stop abusing the term "NoSQL".  Your target concept is
> Non-Relational data stores, not SQL itself.  There's a whole bunch of
> relational stores that don't use SQL, one of them is even called NoSQL!)
> </rant>

to me, "Non-Relational data stores" still sounds as precise as
"non-elephant animals". barely better than NoSQL.

I prefer to call each category by name.  in this case, "document-based storage".

--
Javier