On Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:12:26 PM UTC-4, Benjamin Zuill-Smith wrote:

> I've recently discovered Django and would love this framework in tandem
> with a NoSql solution like MongoDB. I know there is project called
> mongodb-engine but the solutions it brings feel hackish to me because it is
> not built into Django but added like middleware under the hood.  I'm weary
> of starting any real project using it. Are there any contributors out there
> considering adding native NoSql support? Plus, many NoSql solutions provide
> common functionality which could translate into a common interface which
> Django could provide.  I'd be interested to contribute to such an effort
> and I think it is worth looking into given the growth in NoSql solutions
> out there.

The django-nonrel project is alive and looking for contributors.

http://www.django-nonrel.org/

It currently supports App Engine and MongoDB. It officially runs on django
1.3, 1.4, with support for 1.5 in beta.

One of the goals of the project has been to become the official NoSQL
foundation for django. Currently we maintain a fork of django in order to
work around some SQL specific assumptions, but the changes are minimal and
many patches to fix this have been committed already. Once all the patches
are in, then django-nonrel is nothing more than another django.db backend.
This makes it very useful for projects that mix SQL and NoSQL databases.

Obviously there are features in django that you can't use if the database
doesn't support them (JOINs, some aggregates, etc.). And there will also be
features in your database that you cannot access through the django ORM.
There's nothing to stop you from dropping into 'native' db code should you
need it. This is similar in concept to raw sql support in django...
sometimes you just to need to write the query by hand.

As for the arguments that document/nosql/whatever db != relational db, its
close enough to not matter in a lot of very useful scenarios.

--Alex