Hi Bruno,

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 1:26 AM, Bruno Ribeiro da Silva <
cont...@brunoribeiro.org> wrote:

> Hi, I develop applications in Django and I started to read the developer
> mailing list and got interested by this topic about MailUser problem and I
> want to add my 50 cents, sorry if I'm taking a completely wrong approach,
> since I never developed the internals of Django.
>
> But what if we just add a AUTH_USERNAME_FIELD to django settings and with
> this modify the behaviour of User model?
>
> I did some fast coding to show you what I'm thinking:
> https://github.com/loop0/django/compare/email_user
>
> Isn't this a simpler approach? Does it have too much implications? I
> tested changing AUTH_USERNAME_FIELD on a sample project settings to email
> and it worked login to admin.
>
> I like Jorge's idea to separate permissions into it's own app too.
>
> Sorry if I wasn't supposed to post to this mailing group.
>
> You're certainly allowed to post to the group -- we accept ideas from
anyone.

However, in this case, I'm gonna say No. We've deliberately introduced a
setting to allow people to swap in an arbitrary User model, because while
the username field is a *common* thing to want to change, it isn't the
*only* thing people want to change, and email vs username isn't the only
choice. Introducing a second setting that covers part of the potential use
case doesn't appeal to me at all.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)