Bah, I should have planned my e-mailing better. Sorry for sending a third in
such rapid succession.

I just did some checking into my assumptions (quoted below) on this. It turns
out that Django core already does some of what I suggest: in particular, it
doesn't install the User model if django.contrib.auth is installed but another
AUTH_USER_MODEL is invoked, based on a Meta option called "swappable" (see
[here][1] and [here][2]).

Am I misunderstanding? It seems like we are already pretty well down my
proposed path.

Best Regards,
Luke

  [1]: