On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 6:39:13 PM UTC-6, Russell Keith-Magee
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 3:39 AM, Luke Sneeringer
> <lu...@sneeringer.com<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
>> I added the authtools approach to the wiki for completion, although I
>> believe it to be an inferior approach.
>>
>> One thing I dislike is having a separate app (e.g. d.c.auth_email) that
>> has to be installed separately. That feels pretty impure to me. I'm doing a
>> thought exercise about potential solutions, though, and not exactly coming
>> up aces.
>>
>> The best solution I can currently think of is to have User and EmailUser
>> which are both models that live in django.contrib.auth. Then, we would have
>> to add code to our model detection that says that *if* a model is a
>> subclass of AbstractBaseUser, include it if and only if it is the
>> AUTH_USER_MODEL.
>>
>> I can't decide if that solution is better or worse than the disease. It
>> makes for a much more attractive set of steps to follow for people who want
>> to use it, though -- basically, just set AUTH_USER_MODEL to
>> 'auth.EmailUser', and done.
>>

> My opinion - it's worse than the disease.
>
> Option 1 involves a clean auth app that just contains a stub user, and a
> clean extension app providing an alternative user. You install the
> extension app, and say you want to use it.
>
> Option 2 makes a special case of *one particular* extension user, and
> makes all the internals of models, forms, views, etc embedded inside an if
> statement.

I think where I part from you is on the "one particular" aspect of the
discussion. I actually see the "option 2" approach as having very clean
side effects for some other use cases.

Allow me to explain:
There is, as you have pointed out, a lot more to auth than just the User
model. There are forms and the like, which you mentioned, but there are
also other aspects: the permissions models and functionality, for instance.
Subclasses of AbstractBaseUser which also subclass PermissionsMixin still
get the permissions things out of the box, and that is a documented use
case in the official documentation.

So, right now (if I understand correctly), if you install the auth app, you
get the Group and Permission models (and supporting code, natch), as well
as the User model. If you decide to set a different User model using
AUTH_USER_MODEL, but you keep auth installed for these other aspects
(Group, Permission, etc.) then Django installs an auth_user table that
isn't used (note to self: verify this).

If you set AUTH_USER_MODEL to something other than auth.User, you are
making a statement that you *do not want* the stock model. This is true
whether you change it to the upcoming, included "EmailUser" model, or to
something else entirely.

So, I don't think that option 2 "makes a special case of one particular
extension user". If anything, I assert it would do the opposite: it
actually performs the most expected behavior in all cases. If the plain
User model is the AUTH_USER_MODEL and d.c.auth is in INSTALLED APPS, then
it is installed. If you choose to use an included-in-core e-mail model and
install d.c.auth, you get that model and table *instead of* the current
User model. And, if you use your own, special custom User model, but
install auth for the remaining aspects, then you get your custom user
model, and not either of the stock ones.

Basically, my understanding is that you start to get unclean and
counter-intuitive behavior when you want to install the auth app for
everything other than the User model (and forms, etc.), that this would
correct.

Best Regards,
Luke

P. S. To be clear, I am not trying in any way to be argumentative, and I am
happy to implement the separate app if that is what the core developers
decide on.