On 11 févr. 2014, at 03:27, James Farrington <jamestfarring...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you haven't heard about unsettings, it is an attempt to move away from
> using the settings global. There was a discussion at djangocon (which I
> wasn't there for, but I was told about it) which led to some of my colleagues
> and I working on it.

There was only a handful of people involved in that discussion. I overheard it
and asked for details but couldn't get an explanation of the design. I assume
that 99,9% of the subscribers to this mailing-list are hearing the codename
"unsettings" for the first time and 99,99% including most of the committers
have no idea what it means.

I see that the patch moves global state from the "settings" object into a
"uses_settings" decorator and change the signature of a bunch of functions. It
isn't clear to me how this is superior to the current code, unless we have
evidence that we can get rid of the "uses_settings" decorator, which I haven't
found. "uses_settings" is a branded as a transitory utility but it seems firmly
entrenched in the code after the patch. What's the plan for removing it?

> Our github repository:
> https://github.com/SlashRoot/django

You've already put a lot of work on this, 76 commits and over 1300 lines
changed. I appreciate the work you've been doing, however, I'd like to remind
you kindly that Django is developed by a community that values communication
and consensus highly. The path is unlikely to be merged without a healthy
discussion on this mailing list of its goals, its design, the alternatives that
were considered, and why you're proposing that solution.

> The remaining problems in removing settings seem to fall into one of three
> categories:

Regardless of the classification, what are these problems? Do they prevent the
unsettings effort from succeeding? Do they merely delay it? Do they involve
backwards incompatibilities? Do they require a design decision?

Thank you,

--
Aymeric.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/9D06585C-2370-4C1A-B036-720EB88AADC4%40polytechnique.org.