My last post was pretty long and the most important questions and statements
have left unanswered, so I will repeat them.

What I'm proposing now is more conservative proposal. Firstly, Django will
support Jinja2 out-of-the-box, but DTL will remain the "blessed" option.
Secondly, Django will allow to mix DTL and Jinja2 templates (so you can
include/inherit DTL template from Jinja2 one and vice versa).

After doing it, I could focus on 3) decoupling DTL or/and 4) rewriting
Django
builtin templates in Jinja2 or/and 5) moving rendering form widgets from
Python code to Jinja2 templates.

After that all, we could start again the war DTL vs Jinja2, but please focus
on the new proposal now.

Questions are:

1) What do you think about the new proposal? Would it be useful?

2) Jinja2 doesn't support 3.2. Will Django 1.8 support 3.2?

3) Supporting Jinja2 out-of-the-box means introducing dependencies. Are we
   ready for this?

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:07:19 PM UTC+1, Aymeric Augustin wrote:

>> What did Armin said about Python 3 exactly?
>

> He wrote an extensive argumentation about "why Python 2 [is] the better
> language for dealing with text and bytes" [1] as well as a number of tweets
> and a few other blog posts along the same lines.
>
> While his arguments are technically correct, I disagree with his
> conclusions
> because he's speaking with the point of view of an expert maintaining
> libraries at the boundary between unicode and bytes (like werkzeug).
> However,
> most Python users aren't experts and aren't maintaining such libraries. In
> my
> experience working with Python programmers ranging from intern to veteran,
> the
> unicode model of Python 3 is a strict improvement over Python 2 in terms of
> pitfalls hit in day-to-day programming. YMMV.
>
> [1] http://lucumr.pocoo.org/2014/1/5/unicode-in-2-and-3/
>
> --
> Aymeric.

OK, so Armin finds Python 2 better than Python 3. But why is it at odds with
Django? He didn't say that he is not going to support Python 3. So where is
the risk that concerns you?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/79dbbf71-6b70-48d1-8510-cef471812677%40googlegroups.com.