On Fri, 2014-08-08 at 08:39 +0200, Aymeric Augustin wrote:

> You're right. Then just remove "to submit pull requests" from my
> argument
> and it still holds, simply because the vast majority of the Django
> ecosystem
> is on GitHub, and you can't participate meaningfully without GitHub.
>

> I could change my mind if you provided examples of prominent Django
> contributors who can't have a GitHub account for a good reason.

The reason for unauthenticated Trac access was making it as easy as
possible for random Django developers to submit bug reports. The above
is very close to claiming that we care only about prominent Django
contributors which just isn't true.

For the record, +1 for requiring logins to use Trac (spam + ability to
impersonate core committers were both bad), and +0 for using GitHub for
logins. Having other OAuth providers would be even better.
 - Anssi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/1407484416.11410.130.camel%40TTY32.