Hi Russell,

It seemed to me that this page wasn't nearly as good an introduction to
contributing to Django as the contributing guide from the official docs, so I
trimmed it and pointed to the docs instead.

In fact, I started by removing incorrect or outdated information — for
instance, the workflow described in the page dated back to the pre-git era,
replacing get_absolute_url appeared to be the main current project while no one
has worked on it for years, etc. A few minutes later there was so little left
that I simply rewrote the page.

Generally speaking, I don't believe we'll ever manage to keep the wiki
sufficiently accurate and up to date to make it useful. Last year I tried to
look for spam links (with a script) and scrub them, but there were so many that
I gave up. In my opinion, the viable alternative to our self-hosted wiki is
called the World Wide Web :-)

Feel free to restore and perhaps update the previous content. I believe it did
more harm than good, but as long as it remains clear that you need to
authenticate before you can file a ticket, we'll be all right!

--
Aymeric.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/C6A78494-09CB-4B21-A968-F818A35234A0%40polytechnique.org.