Here is the fourth update with a week to go until alpha. At this time, I am
thinking we'll have the feature freeze on Monday, January 12 as planned,
but perhaps issue the actual alpha release a couple days later just to give
some time for some extra polish in case any large patches are committed
next weekend.

#23861 -
<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23861> Fields referenced in
migrations cannot be (re)moved, even if migrations have been squashed
<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23861>
#23891 <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23891> - Revise deprecation /
removal timeline for IPAddressField
<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23891> (resolved)
Owner: Tim
Now: I committed a patch for the second ticket and will polish the patch
for the first issue.
Last time: I've implemented the system check solution I proposed and am
waiting for review and/or concerns with this approach.

After completing the issue above, I'll prioritize any issues here:
https://code.djangoproject.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&keywords=~1.8-alpha

Resolved since last time:

#22340 -
<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/22340> Legacy Table Creation Methods
Not Properly Deprecated <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/22340>
Owner: Tim
Now: Resolved this by removing the deprecation as discussed in the ticket.
Last time: I took a closer look at this and don't think we need to do this
deprecation at all as it doesn't seem to offer any benefits. See the ticket
for details.

#23745 - Migrations migrate is slow
<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/23745>
Owner: Claude/Markus
Now: Patch committed; thanks to Markus and Claude.
Last time: I committed the test that Markus wrote and Claude incorporated a
fix from Markus so the branch appears about ready for merge. Markus will
give it another review.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/b196f095-530c-45ec-9b21-82fcd1c06ed8%40googlegroups.com.