Hey folks,

I looked into the issues #24225, #24264 and #24282 and have a working pull
request ready for review: https://github.com/django/django/pull/4097

The essential change in the pull request is the way how the set of models
that needs to be rerendered is constructed. Instead of naively only
resolving one level of relations (Only rerender B and C if C changed: A -->
B --> C) the new approach recursively checks for relational fields
(forwards and reverse relations (e.g. ForeignKey and ManyToManyRel)) as
well as inheritance.

This approach boils down to the following behavior:

If a completely standalone model (no incoming or outgoing relations and no
subclasses and only a directed subclass of models.Model) changes, only this
model will be rerendered, which is the best case scenario. If every model
is somehow related (directly or through other models) to every other model,
e.g. through the user model, changing one model from that set will require
*all* models to be rerendered, which is the worst case scenario and results
in the similar behavior as 1.7.

To get that pull request into the 1.8 beta I ask everybody to take a look
and try it out on their projects. Especially if 1.8 alpha 1 didn't work for
you.

Thanks

/Markus

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/347cdd1d-bb4e-406e-bc85-f75f9c99ead5%40googlegroups.com.