On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 1:31 AM, Aymeric Augustin
<aymeric.augus...@polytechnique.org> wrote:
> Your request boils down to "make Django's CSRF protection of HTTPS
> pages vulnerable to MITM attacks" which isn't acceptable.

Please. That is a very straw-man like way to have a discussion.

The first thing I asked for was for additional information.
Information on why this helps with CSRF security and information on
what other web technologies use this technique. IMO, the code comment
is very limited in details for such a big jump. I'm not suggesting the
comment be expanded, just wanted to read some external links or
details. Upon receiving that information it would help me understand
if the code is doing something useful and if the code should be
modified.

> http://www.w3.org/TR/referrer-policy/#referrer-policy-states doesn't have
> a policy to send the referrer only for requests to the same origin.
>
> "Origin Only" or "Origin When Cross-Origin" are quite close and alleviate
> privacy concerns. The domain name can still leak privacy-sensitive data
> for instance if you're building a help site for people suffering from some
> illness they don't want to reveal.
>
> However, you're framing this as a security matter, which I don't get. Can
> you clarify how removing Referer headers improves security?

You're right. Privacy is a probably better term for what I'm trying to
achieve. I started with the assumption to share as little information
as possible. In my private application, 99% of the URLs are secured
behind a login. However some URLs are accessed by a unique URL
containing a nonce without a login. Login is not an option for these
URLs. Sharing this URL is considered very bad and I would like to
avoid it happening unintentionally. Additionally, I don't want to leak
any information about my users. Including the fact that they were
using my application. Some of this is real privacy some of this is
common courtesy to the users.

Thanks for the link but I read through that document before choosing "none".

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CADhq2b43-h5f%2BxsofcQHHiiK8%2BfMzp%3D2fSzvtNMfW7etPnSAxQ%40mail.gmail.com.