On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Aymeric Augustin
<aymeric.augustin.2...@polytechnique.org> wrote:
> Le 3 févr. 2015 à 16:54, Jon Dufresne <jon.dufre...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>> Assuming this MITM already has the correct CSRF value, what is
>> stopping this MITM from adding a REFERER to the HTTPS request?
>
> While MITM of HTTP is trivial, MITM of HTTPS isn't possible (under Django's
> security model, which doesn't account for government-level attacks, etc.)

Agreed. My application is 100% over HTTPS, so why do I need the CSRF
referrer check. As you state, MITM is theoretically impossible?

However I'm referring to this comment:

> We're talking about a MITM of an HTTP connection that is then used for
> posting a form over an HTTPS connection. Check the comment in the first
> message of this thread for details.

So the MITM is over HTTP, which we both agree is trivial. This MITM
then makes an HTTPS POST request. Making a HTTPS POST request on its
own is also trivial. To circumvent the CSRF protection the MITM will
need the CSRF token as well as to set the referrer header. If the MITM
is capable of obtaining the CSRF, adding a header to a request seems
like the trivial part.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CADhq2b6PjnZx_XfusSX5odDjo295dgwN80wq26K_mwHqsQzMAw%40mail.gmail.com.