Hm, now I wonder if that blog post in my initial post is entirely correct.
This config seems to send all Django logging to stdout (regardless of the
value of disable_existing_loggers). The difference from the initially
proposed doc patch is that this config redefines the 'django' logger
instead of the 'root' logger. Investigation to continue tomorrow...

LOGGING = {
    'version': 1,
    'disable_existing_loggers': False,
    'handlers': {