It seems this was an intentional design decision as the documentation
states, "Silenced warnings will no longer be output to the console;
silenced errors will still be printed, but will not prevent management
commands from running." I guess it could/should be revisited?

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.8/ref/settings/#silenced-system-checks

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/99f6896f-00d7-414a-b1c2-74d1e359607e%40googlegroups.com.