The docs I proposed would be added to the front page. I'm not sure if I
misunderstand what you meant by "still a click away"?

To me, the front page is a topical guide that links to all documentation
pages (topics/ref/howto) for each topic. I think it's useful, though I
don't really use it myself since I have most of the URLs in my history, so
I just rely on autocomplete to find the page I'm looking for. ;-)

Turning the table of contents page into a CSS menu sounds like a possibly
worthwhile task.

There is also an idea here for adding navigation breadcrumbs to the
documentation which might help:
https://github.com/django/djangoproject.com/issues/403

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/939e7dec-39cf-4605-919c-48dbe8692d2a%40googlegroups.com.