Adding a survey link is not difficult. We conducted a community survey [1]
earlier this year with one question related to documentation, "What parts
of the Django documentation do you find most useful?" What questions to ask
and how to turn the answers into actionable items is the part I'm not sure
about and maybe you could advise on.

In my view, Django's docs haven't strayed from the "topics", "reference",
and "how-to" division that we've had since 1.0 or so. Are you aware of this
grouping? Maybe a "how the docs are organized" section on the index page
would help communicate that and make it more intuitive where to look for
something?

I'll admit I'm skeptical of a wholesale reorganization to this structure
for several reasons:
1. It'll be confusing for existing users who are familiar with the current
section.
2. It'll make it more difficult or impossible to backport documentation
enhancements to the stable version of the docs (assuming we don't also
reorganize them with same structure)
3. It'll create an opportunity for broken links (obviously we could
mitigate this to some extent by adding redirects to the new locations).

It seems to me you were pretty close to finding what you were looking for
at https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.9/ref/forms/ (first bullet, I
think), but I didn't understand what you meant by the page being "the Joy
of Cooking with Django."

[1] https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2015/may/07/community-survey/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/c2bf1434-48f1-4bfb-8320-9ade8f6e8c0b%40googlegroups.com.