On 12/14/2016 11:08 AM, Carl Meyer wrote:
> As for whether a hypothetical third-party app that wants to override
> form widgets should do it by just providing the template overrides and
> clearly documenting that, or should do it by providing a custom form
> renderer, that's a separate question. I wouldn't have a big problem with
> either approach. There are already plenty of apps out there that
> override e.g. the default admin templates; this isn't much different.

Actually, on further thought, I do have a strong opinion here -- such a
hypothetical third-party app should just provide the template overrides
in the expected location; it should not provide a custom form renderer.
The former is easier to use for the simple case (just add to
INSTALLED_APPS) and also more flexible and easier to
integrate/control/override at the project level (e.g. by modifying order
of INSTALLED_APPS, or using DIRS and ProjectTemplateRenderer, or using a
project-specific custom renderer) for advanced uses.

Whereas a custom app-specific renderer doesn't compose well with an
existing custom form renderer that a project might use, making advanced
use more difficult.

Carl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/77412aeb-5c89-d62a-10e5-dbe1c5b604fc%40oddbird.net.