JSON support in postgres is a great middle ground for storing unstructured
documents.

I don't know the specifics of your application, but I would be surprised if
a document orientated database is a perfect fit. The majority of such apps
are semi-structured, where you have some relations but also some
unstructured data. Postgres is an absolutely perfect fit for this.