Hello,

This discussions seems to have started with a misunderstanding of what Django
is.

Here's a very incomplete list (in advance, apologies to everyone for everything
that I'm inevitably going to omit)

1. The Django community
        1.a. Django Girls
        1.b. Conferences, events
        1.c. Processes for keeping the community healthy
        1.d. Mailing lists, blogs, SO
        etc.

2. The Django ecosystem
        2.a. Third party apps
        2.b. Books
        2.c. Hosting services
        2.d. Consulting services
        etc.

3. The Django framework
        See https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/
<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/> — I'm not going to repeat it all; the
ORM is just one of many parts.

Some choices are necessary to keep all this manageable. "We focus on building
apps on top of SQL databases" is one of these choices.

The starting point of the discussion was "I'm using MongoDB". Well, this means
Django isn't designed to handle your situation. Perhaps you can use it, but you
aren't going to get the full benefits.

One of the tradeoffs that you (or someone else) made by picking MongoDB is that
you can't use much of the Django ecosystem. You can still use the view and
template layers and about half of forms. You can't use the ORM nor anything
that depends on it.

At this time, I don't know many people actively involved in Django who thinks
it's reasonable and useful to expand the ORM to support MongoDB.

The consensus about "reasonable" is a steady "no". See discussions in the
archives of this mailing list or take a closer look at the ORM to understand
why.

I think there's a debate aboute "useful". Some people run (or have run) Django
on top of MongoDB with various third-party connectors but I haven't heard
success stories. (I'd be interested in hearing such stories.)

I see only one way for this situation to change: if someone builds a robust
MongoDB backend that works well enough in practice and if it becomes vastly
successful. Perhaps that's djongo. There are technical reasons to believe this
won't happen, though.

I hope this helps.

--
Aymeric.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/6FBFA945-9378-4A29-BD1B-83B7930492E5%40polytechnique.org.
  • Having... Nes Dis
    • R... 'Tom Evans' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
      • ... Adam Johnson
        • ... Tom Forbes
        • ... Michael Manfre
    • R... Nes Dis
      • ... Adam Johnson
        • ... Aymeric Augustin
          • ... Shai Berger
    • R... Nes Dis
      • ... Josh Smeaton
        • ... Anssi Kääriäinen
      • ... Patryk Zawadzki
    • R... Santiago Fraire Willemoës
    • R... Nes Dis
      • ... Tom Forbes
      • ... 'Tom Evans' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)