Hi Claude

Afraid I haven't made any progress, I don't get to contribute to Django at
work these days which has slowed me down :(

So the sketchy plan I've had in my mind for some time is:

1) Get testing with all supported MariaDB versions (currently 5.5, 10.0,
10.1, 10.2) into Django CI, and fix any problems
2) Document that MariaDB is supported
3) *Do not* add a new database backend for MariaDB. Instead have the MySQL
backend determine which it's talking to and act appropriately. I suspect a
large percentage of MariaDB users aren't even aware they're using as they
just did yum install mysql or w/e. Also the differences are generally
minor, and the whole MySQL ecosystem is developing tools that work against
both.
4) Add mysql_flavor (or something like that) to the MySQL database backend,
and then update all uses of mysql_version to be like if mysql_flavor ==
'oracle' and mysql_version >= (5, 6) or mysql_flavor == 'mariadb' and
mysql_version >= (10, 1) - as appropriate for the feature in question.
5) Look at supporting pymysql instead of MySQLdb - it's better maintained,
pure python so not compiled against libmysqlclient, and better tested with
MariaDB. It should be fairly easy to drop in, but when I gave it a go >1
year ago it threw some non-simple errors.

Of course they can't really be done in order as they all interdepend,
except #5 can probably be done separately.

On 30 September 2017 at 16:42, Claude Paroz <cla...@2xlibre.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to push a bit for that functionality in Django 2.1. Adam, any
> progress?
>
> In https://github.com/django/django/pull/7778, you talked about a better
> plan. Show us your plan, please :-)
>
> Claude

> msgid/django-developers/2c525ee9-ed0c-4b4b-9dd2-
> f4750496b2c1%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/2c525ee9-ed0c-4b4b-9dd2-f4750496b2c1%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Adam