Hello Uri,

my (unsurprising) two cents: this is less a problem with the time span of
the LTS version, than of the API stability / upgrade ease / django
compatibility (recently discussed in this thread
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/django-developers/GgqjkYSqfR0>).

In the current state of affairs, I advise you to upgrade your application
to latest stable Django version, using a compatibility helper like my
https://github.com/pakal/django-compat-patcher if you have compatibility
conflicts with your codebase or your dependencies (if some compatibility
fixers are missing for your own needs, please open an issue or contact me).

best of luck,

regards,
Pascal Chambon

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 9:31:25 AM UTC+2, Uri wrote:

> Django Developers,
>
> I would like to know why Django LTS support time is 3 years. I think with
> Ubuntu LTS it's at least 5 years. We are using Django 1.11 for Speedy Net,
> which was released on April 2017, and I'm not sure we will be able to
> upgrade it before April 2020. There are changes which are not backward
> compatible, we will have to change some of our code if we upgrade Django,
> and some packages we are using, such as Django Crispy Forms, we have to use
> versions which don't support Django versions higher than 1.11 due to bugs
> in future releases (
> https://github.com/django-crispy-forms/django-crispy-forms/issues/889).
> Upgrading to the next LTS version (2.2) will take lots of time, and the end
> of support of 2.1 is December 2019. I want to release Speedy Net and Speedy
> Match to production soon, and I don't think we will be able to upgrade
> Django before 2020. It would help if there was 5 years support for each
> Django LTS version. What do you think?
>
> אורי
> u...@speedy.net <javascript:>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/3a17a325-0433-45dd-ae7f-2db3b3689b8f%40googlegroups.com.
      • ... Kye Russell
      • ... Patryk Zawadzki
        • ... Kye Russell
          • ... '1337 Shadow Hacker' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
            • ... '1337 Shadow Hacker' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
              • ... Josh Smeaton
              • ... Aymeric Augustin
              • ... James Bennett
              • ... Levi Cameron
  • ... '1337 Shadow Hacker' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
  • ... Pkl