> With that said, there are Linux distributions which provide their own
> packaged version of Django, and which have longer support periods in which
> they will backport important fixes into their package even if the Django
> team isn't supporting that version anymore.

Specifically:

   - The django package in Ubuntu is in main
   <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories#Main> (ie maintained by
   a paid Canonical employee for the lifetime of the OS)
   - Django 1.6 was EOL in April April 2015 but Ubuntu 14.04 LTS was
   maintained until April 2019 (the last changelog
   <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-django/1.6.11-0ubuntu1.3> was
   from Jan 2019 -- that's almost 4 years of backports). You can get an extra
   3 years on top of that if you want to pay Canoncial.
   - Django 1.8 was EOL in April 2018 but Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is maintained
   until 2021 (and Canonical are still applying backports

<https://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/p/python-django/python-django_1.8.7-1ubuntu5.10/changelog>).

   As above, 3 years extra if you pay.
   - Django 1.11 is EOL life in April 2020 but Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is
   maintained until 2023, or 2028 (+5 years) if you want to pay.
   - This comes to a full 9 years of updates from first release for django
   1.6 & 1.8, and 11 years for django 1.11

If Ubuntu isn't your thing then RHEL has a 10 year support guarantee (for
free if you can tolerate the unpredictable lag between RedHat and CentOS
releases).

If you don't want to be tied to a specific linux distribution then you also
have ActiveState <https://www.activestate.com/> (which only depends on
glibc).

In short, it's certainly not like there aren't already extended options if
the default django 3 year policy is not enough. If someone really needs 6+
years of updates then it seems reasonable to me that they pay someone to do
that work instead of expecting it from volunteer django maintainers.

Levi

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/a562dc2a-566b-427d-a0d8-1a077c66c32f%40googlegroups.com.
  • ... Adam Johnson
    • ... אורי
      • ... Kye Russell
      • ... Patryk Zawadzki
        • ... Kye Russell
          • ... '1337 Shadow Hacker' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
            • ... '1337 Shadow Hacker' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
              • ... Josh Smeaton
              • ... Aymeric Augustin
              • ... James Bennett
              • ... Levi Cameron
  • ... '1337 Shadow Hacker' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
  • ... Pkl