Hi, thanks for giving it a look.

The PR are based on existing tickets so these are not my ideas. The relevant
ticket <https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/16774> for the backtracking
URL contains valuable information about its benefits and why the author
requested the feature. The idea is to  "provide a way to pass control back
to the URL router to try the remaining routes" if a certain route matched
at first but doesn't want to handle this request and want to pass the
control to another view -- see this comment
<https://github.com/wagtail/wagtail/issues/6083#issuecomment-635267442> for
an example of issue it would solve in reality --

Le jeudi 6 mai 2021 à 19:32:59 UTC+2, f.apo...@gmail.com a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I took a quick glance (literally just that) at the pull requests. I do
> like the one that offers a way to abort early inside a prefix -- this is a
> nice optimization and as well might open interesting options for
> specialized catch all views. I am not convinced about the backtracking PR,
> which problems does this solve in reality? What does this mean for features
> like atomic requests -- it is still just one request after all…
>
> Cheers,
> Florian
>
> On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 7:21:01 PM UTC+2 atd...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Ok I see better.
>> Talking about efficiency, I take this opportunity to link here the
>> following draft PR I made: Backtracking URL Resolver
>> <https://github.com/django/django/pull/14343> and Provide ability to
>> abort URL resolution early <https://github.com/django/django/pull/14342>,
>> which, if implemented in the right way, may help make URL resolving more
>> efficient and more flexible too.
>>
>> I understand that you may not have time to review  or maybe this is not
>> something you are planning to put into Django right now, but I would be
>> very happy to have any feedback on it!

>>> You are most likely not missing anything and we also noticed that when
>>> fixing the admin enumeration stuff. But we did not get around to fixing it
>>> yet. That said, I think doing this in process_response would be preferable
>>> over doing it in process_request so the extra checks when the URL is valid
>>> (the common case) are reduced. Resolving URLs can take a bit, especially
>>> when the urlconf is long and as such I'd like to get that check out of the
>>> "hot" code path. Only doing the redirect in the case of a failing resolve
>>> in the first place would probably make this more efficient.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Florian

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/41821059-b9a5-433b-b08d-78e3d99d84dcn%40googlegroups.com.
  • APP... Tidiane Dia
    • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
      • ... Tidiane Dia
        • ... Tidiane Dia
    • ... Florian Apolloner
      • ... Tidiane Dia
        • ... Florian Apolloner
          • ... Tidiane Dia
            • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
              • ... Florian Apolloner
          • ... chris.j...@gmail.com
            • ... Florian Apolloner
              • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)