Hi David,

Thanks for this. Yes.

Let's assume the 2020-2021 time filter is in place.

Mariusz recently picked up James' PR to add the list of Core Contributors
(back) to the website, which is/was part of the DEP 10 governance changes.
https://github.com/django/djangoproject.com/pull/1099

The hope is that the DSF Board will approve that in their next meeting, and
we can get it live. With hindsight we perhaps could have moved quicker but,
the idea was to move on from there to recognise current and new
contributors on a more ongoing basis too.

So... my hope was to probably do something per-major release — so 3.2, 4.0,
4.1, etc. (Maybe we could do it every month but...)

* Who were the contributors?
* Who were the new contributors?(Special callout)
* Who was on the Triage and Review team? ('cause it ain't just code)
* And, can we identify other folks to call out...? (T&R team was an attempt
to capture participation here.)

I think Simon's github-to-sqlite tool is a good candidate.
Some others I've collected whilst this has been bubbling on the low-ring:

* Katie McLaughlin provided some git log
pointers https://glasnt.com/blog/script-o-hatrack/
* See also https://github.com/LABHR/octohatrack
* GitHub built this based on Simon's
ideas: https://octo.github.com/projects/flat-data
* "A git query language" https://github.com/filhodanuvem/gitql
* "git quick stats" https://github.com/arzzen/git-quick-stats

I think there's plenty of tooling there to show how to get the info we
want.
At a guess it's a couple of evenings exploring, and then pulling it into a
report.

I think if we were to do something along these lines, starting a new
tradition, for Django 4.0 in December, that would be really great.

I'm not sure as yet on the exact format to present all that.
The blog post for the _Final_ versions could say more without too much
difficulty.
(e.g. https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2021/apr/06/django-32-released/
)

Kind Regards,

Carlton

On Tuesday, 29 June 2021 at 21:35:16 UTC+2 smi...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've had this sat in my drafts for a while. Rather than let it sit on the
> shelf any longer I thought it better to share.
>
> I've been thinking about recognising contributions recently. The main
> issue with the notes here is that it focuses on code rather than
> contributions to the wider Django ecosystem. However, if there are
> improvements that we could make here I think we should explore those, and
> maybe some of them could be used more widely.
>
> Here are a few ideas of how contributions could be recognise following a
> peer review of other projects. Some are better than others, some are easier
> to implement than others. Hopefully something to prompt some discussion.
> What do folk think? How would you feel if you were recognised in one of
> these ways?
>
> - Add Python style `contributed by` in the release notes. I'm not so sure
> about adding the ticket number (in fact I think I saw Nick Pope point to
> something today that says we don't ref tickets?). [1]
>
> - For the headline features add names to the blog post [2]. Could also add
> link to their blog / website /Twitter (less sure about this second part).
>
> - The blog post (or another page) to include a long list of names of
> everyone who contributeted a commit in that release. I think it's fine if
> this is long, can probably use Simon W's GitHub-to-sqlite repo for this so
> it is sustainable. [3]
>
> - For the headline features make a series of Twitter posts highlighting
> them and acknowledge contributors. I'm thinking something along the lines
> of what Adam Johnson did for the 3.2 release but include names & thank
> yous.
>
> - A rust style thanks page [4] (but **not** the all time list, I don't
> think that's helpful and it's on GitHub anyway).
>
> - A go style contributor summit. (I don't think this is feasible, even
> remotely. But I'll put it out there!). A slight variation on this could be
> folk who have contributed could apply for different coloured conference
> passes/lanyards.  [5]
>
> Kind Regards
>
> David
>
> [1]https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.8.html
> [2]https://www.djangoproject.com/weblog/2021/apr/06/django-32-released/
> [3]https://github.com/dogsheep/github-to-sqlite
> [4]https://thanks.rust-lang.org/
> [5]https://blog.golang.org/contributors-summit-2019

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/0174cb33-44e3-48f4-80dc-27b8f9fb8cb4n%40googlegroups.com.
  • Rec... smi...@gmail.com
    • ... Carlton Gibson
      • ... Tom Forbes
        • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
          • ... Tom Carrick
            • ... smi...@gmail.com
              • ... Carlton Gibson
                • ... chris.j...@gmail.com