The idea was pursued in https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/22734 but
ultimately abandoned.
On Saturday, January 29, 2022 at 6:01:30 PM UTC-5 jacob...@gmail.com wrote:

> This proposal attempts to address the following issues:
> https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/6989  (14 years old)
> https://github.com/django/django/pull/13728
> and
> https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/31885
> https://github.com/django/django/pull/13305
>
> Currently all the parameters to configure the email backend are located
> in the global namespace, typically starting with EMAIL_...
> This in the past led to discussions whenever a new configuration parameter
> was required, because it added another entry to the yet too long list of
> configuration
> settings.
>
> Since Django allows us to use more than one email backend concurrently,
> why don't we configure them in a similar way as we already do it with
> database, caching or template engine backends?
>
> Such a configuration setting then may look like:
>
> EMAIL = [
>     {
>         'BACKEND': 'django.core.mail.backends.smtp.EmailBackend',
>         'HOST': 'smtp.example.org',
>         'HOST_USER': 'smtp_user',
>         'HOST_PASSWORD': 'smtp_secret',
>         'PORT': 25,
>         'FQDN': 'example.org',
>         # all other related directives
>     }
> ]
>
> This would allow each email backend to "bring" its own configuration
> settings
> contained in their own dictionary. Adding extra settings to this dict will
> certainly
> lead to less discussions as we currently have.
>
> Personally, I would prefer SMTP = {...} as the main configuration
> directive, but EMAIL seems to be more popular in Django.
>
> This would mean that the configuration directives starting from here
> <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/4.0/ref/settings/#email-backend> will
> have
> to be replaced, by their counterparts as explained before.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/f124b879-4913-42ab-a635-ed3c570e7a83n%40googlegroups.com.
  • Pro... Jacob Rief
    • ... Tim Graham
      • ... Jacob Rief
        • ... Florian Apolloner
          • ... st...@jigsawtech.co.uk
            • ... Florian Apolloner
              • ... Matthias Kestenholz
                • ... Alexander Schulze
              • ... Steven Mapes
              • ... Steven Mapes
                • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
                • ... Florian Apolloner