Well, that ticket is 8 years old and in the meantime other email backends
have emerged, requiring different configuration options.
I made this proposal after attempting to fix a 14 year old open ticket
#6989 but this was ultimately postponed, see comment by
Carlton Gibson on
https://github.com/django/django/pull/13728#issuecomment-987762791

To summarize the discussion from 7 years ago

Collin Anderson wrote:

> I don't see any benefit to moving email settings to a dictionary. It is
> helpful for databases and caches because there can be multiple backends.

It makes the popular "from local_settings import *" convention harder to
> use. What's wrong with 6 individual settings? If the goal is to allow

multiple email backends, then let's make that the ticket goal.

and Carl Meyer replied:

> I agree with Collin; unless we are adding new capabilities (i.e. multiple
> configured email backends, which it seems nobody really wants), it's hard

to find any actual benefit from this change to justify the churn (and the
> additional complexities of working with dictionary settings in
> partial-override scenarios).

why shouldn't it makes sense to have different email backends? If you have
a staging system you may want to use you local SMTP-relay, while in
production
you may for instance use AWSs SES
<https://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/dg/Welcome.html> service. That
service may require additional configuration settings not available in the
local smtp backend.
I can also imagine that in some situations it may make sense to have two
email backends concurrently. We maybe should rethink about that.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/bcbd308a-217c-44eb-b96a-3a487683a345n%40googlegroups.com.
  • Pro... Jacob Rief
    • ... Tim Graham
      • ... Jacob Rief
        • ... Florian Apolloner
          • ... st...@jigsawtech.co.uk
            • ... Florian Apolloner
              • ... Matthias Kestenholz
                • ... Alexander Schulze
              • ... Steven Mapes
              • ... Steven Mapes
                • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
                • ... Florian Apolloner
                • ... Jacob Rief