Wrong I think. There are already several Djangoids looking at making a
discussion forum together as an open project. I expect there will be
plenty of similar activities.

The problem is that Django is changing fast right now without regards
to backwards compatability. Wait until 1.0 hits and soon thereafter I
expect that we will see more app sharing and cooperative development
beginning to take place.

I should also add that I don't really like many of the stated
conventions for creating sharable apps. The insiders at LJO don't
follow those conventions and I doubt many others will bother. IMO the
area of app deployment needs more attention and perhaps some additional
automation support.