" I'm storing a copy of the
searchable text in a MyISAM table and using the MySQL search on it."

I need to search results to be immediately available as soon as they
are updated in DB.
This will require me to update the index in real time which is not
very efficient.

Haystack does provide real time index update. Has anyone used it.

http://docs.haystacksearch.org/dev/searchindex_api.html#keeping-the-index-fresh

other than that I have two other options:
1) Search db for data updated after the last search index update date
and time and then show results from both Db and search engine. Risk is
search index result could return stale data or I might get duplicates.
2) Use an appoach like yours - " copy of the