On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Bradley Hintze
<bradle...@aggiemail.usu.edu> wrote:
> I guess I just don't like the model.py, views.py, templates, and
> url.py. In the tutorial you have to edit all of these and THEN you get
> something that you can send to the client. It's very confusing! How do
> they tie together? I probably need to do the tutorial again. It seems
> to me getting info from the user should be strait foreword but its not
> as displayed by the rather lengthy tutorial. But than I'm new to
> this...

I think tutorial tries to show off django's features and how easy is to get
a data-driven web app with few code.

Anyway, django doesn't do any magic at all. You don't need models if you don't
store the information in a database. You don't need use django's templates
if you don't want.

Usually, in your view _you_ tie together the model with the template and
return a response which django pass to the user doing all the http stuff.

Try this:

""" file mytest.py """
# you require to return a HttpResponse instance in your view
from django.http import HttpResponse
# handler* are required for the urlresolver
from django.conf.urls.defaults import patterns, handler404, handler500

# minimal settings
DEBUG = True
# tell django to use this file to find urlpatterns. see below
ROOT_URLCONF = "mytest"

# a basic callback to return something to the user. "view" in django's idiom
def myview(request):
    # you can use html content if you want
    return HttpResponse("Boo!")

# finally tie a url route to our view
urlpatterns = patterns("",
    # the regex is used to match whatever after /
    # ^$ means "nothing", so route the url / to our callback "myview"
    (r"^$", myview),
)

# /end

That's all you need. Then run: (you are in linux?)

$ PYTHONPATH=.  django-admin.py runserver --settings=mytest

PYTONPATH=.     <- needed to tell python where to find our mytest.py
--settings=mytest  <- needed to tell django where to find the
"project's settings"

If you want learn and/or have more control over all the things and
stay "close to the iron",
you can try a micro-framework or go directly to wsgi. Search for:
werkzeug, web.py, flask, etc

Regards,

~Rolando