On Jul 9, 12:29 am, Martin Tiršel <dja...@blackpage.eu> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 23:23:53 +0200, Bradley Hintze
>
> <bradle...@aggiemail.usu.edu> wrote:
> > I guess I just don't like the model.py, views.py, templates, and
> > url.py. In the tutorial you have to edit all of these and THEN you get
> > something that you can send to the client. It's very confusing! How do
> > they tie together? I probably need to do the tutorial again. It seems
> > to me getting info from the user should be strait foreword but its not
> > as displayed by the rather lengthy tutorial. But than I'm new to
> > this...
>
> Hi, I am a Django beginner too. If you don't have experiences with MVC
> programming pattern, it could be a lot harder, but as soon as you
> understand it, you will not see many things so complicated. Django is a
> framework which helps you to save time by not inventing a wheel again and
> again, you don't need to know how Django's blackboxes works, you only need
> to know how to use them to work for you. Forms are perfect example - you
> specify what fields a form should have, what data should every field
> contain and the boring part - displaying, validating and redisplaying you
> can let to Django. If there is something you need to do differently as
> default behaviour is, you can override it. Django is a little harder to
> learn as I expected, but my advice is not to give up and try to read
> documentation again and again until every part begins to fit together.
>
> What I am missing on Django, are high quality or complex tutorials.

More complex or more detailed?  (I would argue that The Django Book is
about as high quality as you are ever going to get for a free
tutorial....)

Try: http://www.hoboes.com/NetLife/pytown/django-beyond-sql/

or: http://opensourcebridge.org/2009/wiki/Django%3A_Thinking_Outside_The_Blog

or: http://www.slideshare.net/jacobian/django-in-the-real-world-1750000

The real issue is that, because Django is a framework, designed to
meet N number of possible needs, once you get "beyond the basics", the
specifics start to diverge more and more from what _you_ actually need
to do.

My 2c
Derek