This doesn't really have much to do with Django, but here is my 2 cents:

If you have no experience with version control software, I'd recommend that
you start with subversion.  There are more advanced tools (git and mercurial
being the favorites right now), but there is a steep learning curve if you
are a beginner.  I chose git for my company after using subversion for
years, and I had to learn its nuances over time (ie, it was really
frustrating at times).  For a while you'll find yourself unable to do basic
things (adding files, merging changes, making commits) when you encounter
problems.  If the danger of this sounds worse to you than the advanced
features/benefits of a distributed VCS, go with subversion.  If your team is
highly tech savvy (perhaps they already know git/mercurial), then those may
be better options, but it doesn't sound like that is the case (or they
probably would have recommended one to you).

I recommend finding an external host. They are cheap and you won't have to
worry about hardware/backups/administration yourself.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 4:56 PM, Hooshyar <hnara...@hanzinet.com> wrote:

> Hello Django users,
>
> My Django-driven web application has grown fast and large enough and
> more programmers are contributing code and UI components that I would
> like to set up a source code management software. I would be glad if
> you could share your experience as to what software I should use. I am
> new to this task, so I would appreciate your pointers too. What to
> look for? What the future expansion might compel me to adapt, etc.
>
> One of the first questions I thought I would need to address is
> whether I should install the source code management software on our
> dedicated server or use a hosted service? My immediate need is to
> expedite development cycle, as more programmers are working on
> different components and need to update the source code frequently. To
> give you an idea of our development environment, we have pure Python
> developers, Django developers, and we have UI/UX designers constantly
> working on Django templates. We also have Javascript coders working on
> various aspects of jQuery and our in-house developed Ajax
> functionality.
>
> I am willing to pay a service provider and be up and running. But in
> reality, is it how it is going to work out? In the category of hosted
> services, I found one entity http://www.svnrepository.com (it seems it
> is a public-facing web site to another destination
> http://www.SourceRepo.com).
> Has anyone experience with either of these? Or, would you recommend
> the installation is really easy, if I install the software myself.
>
> My application is NOT open-source and will not become one in the
> immediate future. It is a proprietary SaaS (software as a Service),
> although for some reasons I prefer to call it a PaaS (Platform as a
> Service). Either description, the final product will be proprietary
> and we would like to protect our code. Would this imply a hosted
> service is out of question?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Hooshyar F. Naraghi