On Fri, 2010-10-22 at 08:02 -0700, Ken wrote:
> Basically, please explain it in a way that a layman can follow the
> steps and setup a workflow without pulling his hair out. =P

my method (I am not a professional programmer):

1. set up my code and create a mercurial repository. Test each change on
my local machine - I use nginx+runserver.

2. once the code is working - push the changes to a repository on the
internet (I use bitbucket)

3. from the repository pull the code to the staging server for the
client to test with real data (usually this data would be taken from the
production server)

4. once the client is happy - pull the code to the production server -
usually apache+wsgi or nginx+fcgi or tornado.

5. for changes in the database tables: run manage.py sqlall and save it
as before.sql. make the changes, again run sqlall and save it as
after.sql. Create a diff between the two and massage that into a script.
Test the script on the development machine and then on the staging
server, finally do it on the production server.

5. Note: settings.py is not put under version control as this holds
sensitive information and paths differ according to the server it is on.
I create a default.settings.py which has the sensitive information
removed. That is kept under version control.
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves