On Nov 18, 1:58 am, john doe <thebiggestbangthe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Thomas Schreiber <t...@insatsu.us> wrote:
> > Are you sure the user has been marked as is_staff or is_superuser?
>
> >http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/auth/#django.contrib.auth...
>
> No the user is not marked as either because it is my goal to set up a
> normal user. I did not know that only users with is_staff or superuser
> status can log in via the admin console.

That's what is_staff means, though: the right to access the admin
console. There's no point logging someone in who doesn't have access
to anything in there.

> Is there an in-built view/page to easily let a user log in or do I have to
> set up even the user login page and the associated view.

It's all provided for you in django.contrib.auth.views - see for
example the login function there. You just need to provide a template
and a place to redirect to afterwards.

> I tried going through the Django user auth docs but am not clear where
> should I be putting in the python code for authenticating a user. Maybe I
> need to set up a view leading to a form, accept the values and process it.

No need, see above.
--
DR.