On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Sithembewena Lloyd Dube
<zebr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Daniel, makes sense. I gather that what Bruno meant to say on his
> soapbox was that the file is in the HTTP request object and can/ should not
> be accessible from the hard disk?
>
> I was familiar with that, as the file upload dialogue does the job of
> reading the file off the disk and into memory.
>
> So I see where I went wrong :) I was trying to read the file off the disk.
> I'll see if I can manipulate the file in a view, where I have access to the
> request object.
>
> Is that the gist of the problem?
>
> Thanks Daniel!

Not really.

1) User chooses file from disk
2) Browser reads file from disk, and generates POST request
3) Django receives POST request, and generates temporary file to store
received POST data
4) Django model form processes request, and moves temporary file into
the location specified by upload_to attribute on model field
5) You save the model instance, which puts us into the save() method,
where you want to create a thumbnail of the file

At this point, the full size image is on disk, in
os.path.join(settings.MEDIA_ROOT, instance.file_field.path). You want
to read that image in, create a django.core.files.File (or subclass)
instance for the thumbnailed image, and assign it to the thumbnail
field on the model.

Cheers

Tom