Hi all,

i could use some advice for a good packaging workflow.

So far i used to put an "apps"-folder in my project root and i stored
all individual apps in a sub-folder.
This works, but i thought: "Okay, try to decouple things a bit more
and try to create some 'real' reusable apps."

So i followed Jacob's guide on buildout (http://jacobian.org/writing/
django-apps-with-buildout) and thanks to the clear and detailed
instructions i managed to build a nice package for one of my apps.
Okay, so i removed the according sub-folder from my app-dir, installed
my new package to the virtualenv containing my project and everything
worked ... Nice!

BUT ...

I see that this is really great for the distribution of an app.
But what about development and "continuous packaging"?
I mean, my project consists of more than five apps. One side of me
would rather turn them all into installable packages so i get a nice
decoupled environment.

But how do i work on my projects once things are separated?
I mean, in reality, though functional distinct, the apps work together
and interact to form a site as whole.
So, to get a complete feeling and an overview for what my app does (or
breaks) i need to see it embedded in a working site.
I got this, when all different apps where folders under the same root-
dir. I could easily edit things in one app and see the results
immediately on my site. Due to version control it was easy to rollback
changes that were problematic.

Do i simply miss an important point? Am i just spilled by the
monolithic workflow?
How do you implement new features? Do you just concentrate on a single
app (in a separated buildout dir), test everything, package it and
finally install the new version and
then check if everything fits still together? (And if not, go back to
your app, package it again, install it etc.)

I'd really love to hear some strategies how you cope with this.

Thanks,
Andreas