Thank you for all your insights.

> I think you are stuck in the monolithic point of view.  I'm also not sure if
> you understand that django apps are python modules and the same rules apply.
>
> The apps location within the PYTHONPATH is immaterial to a project, as long as
> the project can find the app. With this in mind, I tend to have a lib
> directory, that contains apps that are in development or checkouted out from
> other developers versioning system. This lib directory is added to the python
> path for each project that needs an app from this location. Please note this
> is a directory seperate from python${VERSION}/site-packages.

Indeed. With my shiny new installation package i totally forgot about
the fact that the package just needs no be on the path,
no matter where the files are actually stored. That really clears
things up for me.

And thanks for for your example Tom.

One last point.
Now, how do i deal best with different versions/branches of my app? Do
you just switch branches while developing or do you use pip in project
env to refer and switch to different tags/branches in your sourcecode.
The first approach feels more dynamic, the latter more 'stable'. In
the end i guess both work, but what do you do?

Greetings,
Andreas