I guess i wasn't clear enough. I am not so much concerned with when to
use tags and when to use branches.
I am still looking for a smooth development workflow.
I created a libs-dir which i put on my python path an put my different
apps in it.
Okay, now i can refer to my apps from any project without copying the
files. Great and a lot better than before.

So now i start to create different branches for an app, i create a
development branch an change stuff.
As the app is on my path my projects initially refer to the state/
branch of an app that ist currently checked out, right?
That's what i refered to by "switching branches" (= changing the
branch of my app in my libs-dir)

Another (better?) idea i had looking at pip's docs was to take my libs-
dir off the python path, put them in a git-repo and use pip to install
my app.
Pip's option to refer to certain tags and branches (http://
pip.openplans.org/requirement-format.html#version-control) seems
pretty ideal in this situation.
The only drawback i see is that i have to install and uninstall quite
often if i want to test different branches/states of my app in a
project.

And now i am not sure which route is more promising or if there's even
an easier way i don't regard at the moment.
Hope that's more clear.

Thanks fpr you patience,
Andreas