On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Carsten Fuchs <carstenfu...@t-online.de>wrote:

> I'd be very happy to learn what you make of this data (afaics, the problem
> could perfectly well be in my app code, not in Django).

First, do you really mean USE_I18N everywhere where you have USE_L10N?

The top cumtime item:

   ncalls  tottime  percall  cumtime  percall filename:lineno(function)
    18333    0.706    0.000    4.368    0.000
/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/django/utils/translation/__init__.py:23(delayed_loader)

is one whose execution time will be vastly different depending on USE_I18N
value. I cannot figure out why it would be getting called more (or be more
expensive to call) with USE_L10N = True vs. False, so I'm thinking you must
have changed USE_I18N to see the dramatic performance difference? (There are
already notes in the doc that if you don't need translation you should turn
USE_I18N off, see:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.3/topics/i18n/deployment/#if-you-don-t-need-internationalization,
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.3/ref/settings/#use-i18n.)

Second, have you tried running with 1.3? That top call listed in the first
report no longer exists, it was removed by the fix to this ticket:
http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/14306, motivation being performance
improvement. So it would be interesting to see how your results compare with
the current release.

Karen
--
http://tracey.org/kmt/