Nginx can test to see if a file is available, and if it exist load that instead
of proxying the request to django.

location / {
alias /var/www/static/;
if (!-f $request_filename) {
proxy_pass http://127.0.0.1:8000;
}
}

Now if /var/www/static/foo.js exists, but /var/www/static/bar.js does not
foo.js will be served as a static file by nginx and the bar.js request will be
passed to django where you can use a template to dynamically serve it.

Mick