Anything that can make django/python-based webapps easier to deploy is
interesting. That's been the huge thing for all my PHP-friends; the
ease of deployment. Now if we had something similar for django/python
... it would rock! :-) Used java for some years and war-files worked
ok as well.

And isn't this a trend nowadays; mac having their DMG-files and
discussions in the linux community about making packages distro
independant by compiling libs, binaries, resources etc into one
executable archive?

BTW; could you post the link to showing how the facebook guys are
doing this? Haven't seen it.

Thomas

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]
<cal.leem...@simplicitymedialtd.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After seeing the Facebook video about how their development team
> compiles everything into a single binary for easy distribution between
> thousands of servers, I totally fell in love with the idea. Although
> their approach is to compile PHP into C, the same principle applies.
>
> The end result will be a single binary which will contain your webapp
> + static resources + web server + application server, easily
> deployable to many servers, and reduced time spent in managing the
> stack (YMMV). Although I'm only going to be focusing on our needs to
> begin with, there's no reason this concept couldn't be extended in the
> future to include PHP, 32bit, other OS's etc.
>
> Some features I'm thinking of:
>
> * CLI based menu to build compile package (ncurses based). Easy to
> use. Incorporates all features available in nginx/uwsgi. Comes with
> 'basic' config mode (the bare minimal questions asked - for beginners
> - which makes it almost impossible to build a broken package) and
> 'advanced' mode which lets you change everything (with more risk ofc).
> * Support for nginx + uwsgi + python2.6 + python2.7 + debian 64bit.
> * Expose some sort of API which lets you query all aspects of services
> running within the package (like nginx stats).
> * Enable ability for nginx/uwsgi/python to log out to a syslog server
> of some kind)
> * Ability to obfuscate py code using various techniques.
> * Maybe a test-run feature to test your package.
> * Maybe some sort of MemoryError detection and reporting of such events.
>
> I'm probably going to make something like this for companies own
> internal use, but wanted to see if anyone else had an interest in
> seeing this go open source.
>
> Cal

Mvh/Best regards,
Thomas Weholt