I am currently in the middle of a project where we are planning on
using Django with PhoneGap . . . Haven't completed yet, or gotten to
the PhoneGap part of it, so can't report its success or not yet.

Basically, we are using jQuery Mobile to develop a complete mobile
application that operates on a pair of cached JSON objects, one to
define the page flow of the application and the page contents, and the
other to store form results to be returned to the server or stored in
localstorage.  I am not using Django templates for anything, but
rather just going to use TastyPie to provide a REST interface for the
app's models in order to provide and receive the JSON objects to and
from the front end. So essentially- just using Django for the back
end. We also looked at Sencha touch vs. jQMobile for the front end but
went with jQ Mobile because my front end developer was much more
comfortable with it and was already familiar with jQuery.  Once we get
the thing working as an addressable mobile web app, we intend to
package and wrap it as a PhoneGap app.   I can post an update on our
success or failures in a month or so when the project has come
together more.  As of now, just he front end is completed to operate
on the JSON objects and I am working on the models and REST interface
for it.

Ben