A discussion broke out in our office today about using these features,
because there are blog posts[1] bashing them and a comment by JKM
saying they should go away[2].

It seems that all of the arguments against are based on the fact that
there were bugs in the past (links in the comments of the blog post
above). However, the "go away" comment is five years old and they're
still there, and the bug tickets have been patched.

It's easy enough to do what these features do in a more explicit way.

Considering these facts, I'm wondering what the consensus is in the community:

    A. They're still there because they're too annoying to deprecate
or just not important enough to spend time on.

    B. They're useful shortcuts and their use is preferable to manual
replacements.

[1] http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2006/nov/02/django-tips-auto-populated-fields/
[2] https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/1056