Shawn,

Chalk one up for option A.

I never, ever, ever, use them and they can get dropped for all I care,
considering how easy they are to implement "manually".

They are also my go-to example for teaching new users how to modify their
model's save method and I believe the shortcuts only add "magic" without
bringing in real benefits. One could even argue that their existence creates
an extra, unnecessary step in the learning curve for beginners. Bottom line,
it's more often a nuisance than it is a shortcut.

Cheers,
André