On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Shawn Milochik <sh...@milochik.com> wrote:
> A discussion broke out in our office today about using these features,
> because there are blog posts[1] bashing them and a comment by JKM
> saying they should go away[2].

Heh. This is an argument that goes back quite some time. It's even
been captured on video (it's a long video, but I swear it's in there
somewhere) :-)

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tscMnoS4YU8

> It seems that all of the arguments against are based on the fact that
> there were bugs in the past (links in the comments of the blog post
> above). However, the "go away" comment is five years old and they're
> still there, and the bug tickets have been patched.
>
> It's easy enough to do what these features do in a more explicit way.
>
> Considering these facts, I'm wondering what the consensus is in the community:
>
>    A. They're still there because they're too annoying to deprecate
> or just not important enough to spend time on.
>
>    B. They're useful shortcuts and their use is preferable to manual
> replacements.

I know I'm in disagreement with Jacob here, but I'm in camp B. For me,
the two most common use cases for a timestamp are a creation timestamp
and an update timestamp, so it makes perfect sense that they are baked
in as a top-level feature for timestamp model fields.

I've used these flags extensively in production, and I'm not aware of
any bugs that are actually problems in production. A *long* time ago,
there were some issues with serialization, but I fixed those a long
time ago because I was using timestamp flags.

So - for me, it's not worth removing them. They serve a real-world
common use case, they're not fundamentally broken as designed (as far
as I am aware), and removing them would require a whole lot of pain in
the wider community.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)