I believe I understand the general definitions of internationalization
and localization, e.g. as defined on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalization_and_localization.
Internationalization is somewhat like building/designing a piece of
software for being used with different locales. And localization is
then making some localized version withing the boundaries set by the ,
e.g. making all the translated versions and date formatting for
Germany.

According to those definitions, I think it makes sense to "turn off
i18n and l10n". But what does it mean to turn of one and not the
other?

They only make sense in relation to each other, and turning one of
without turning the other off, does not make sense to me.

I don't think it is obvious what they do?

Lucy