Did anybody read the links I supplied. Or maybe you were busy plussing on
Google+ :)

So there seems to be two pairs of definitions for I18N / L10N:

a) I18N / L10N ~ (building software so ready to be
locale-language-customized  /  making a specific localized version )

b) I18N / L10N ~ (translation/localized formatting)

When reading Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalization_and_localization). I
understand the option a), and I don't think they mention that the terms can
have different meanings. When reading Django's article
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/i18n/, I get exactly the same
understanding.

People in this thread talk about meaning b) as if it is a long established
meaning and common knowledge. So I guess it is. But I did not find anything
describing this meaning when I was trying to figure out what USE_L10N and
USE_I18N meant.

So if you are so certain that I18N / L10N are common knowledge for
translation/localized formatting, I suggest that you add that knowledge to
the abovementioned Wikipedia article and Django documentation article.

Furthermore, the
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/settings/?from=olddocs#use-i18n,
should not just say that it will "turn off the internationalization
machinery", since that is not helpful unless "internationalization
machinery" is defined. And come on, why not just add that this is
translation.

Lucy